Worship Style: w/ Choir, Music is Sung
East Baptist Church
East Baptist Church started as a dream and the prayer of an elderly woman for a church on the East side of town. When it was to become a reality, she gave a whole month’s social security check as the first donation to the building fund. On the day they broke ground for the basement, she was taken to the hospital, where she died. On the way to the hospital that day, the ambulance drove by the property and stopped so she could see her dream begin to come true.
East Baptist Church was started on March 23, 1945 when a group of people met in the home of W. B. Beshears at 609 East Sears for the purpose of organizing a church on the Eastside of town.
Church services were held in the Raynal School until a building was erected. Lots on the corner of 5th and Sears were bought on March 31, 1945 at the cost of $850.00. On April 27-28, 1945 the church basement was dug. On February 3, 1946 the first services were held in the new building.
East Baptist has had several pastors through the years. The first pastor was Rev. Dan Donowho. He served until March 7th, 1946. The first deacons were ordained in December of 1945. There have been 10 pastors and several interim pastors before our present pastor came in November of 1997.
In the spring of 1952 the church built an educational building to be used for a church auditorium until an auditorium could be built. In 1960 the auditorium we now use was dedicated.
In the early 70's the basement and the auditorium were enlarged and more classrooms were built. Two more lots were purchased and the 2 parking lots were built. At one time there was a school and a bus ministry, running 8 buses.
East Baptist Church is made up of people who love the Lord and each other. It has been said by several visitors and later members that our church has some of the friendliest people they have ever met.
6:30PM - Traditional Worship Services
10:00AM - Morning Bible Studies
7:00PM - Evening Bible Studies